9:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Monday, May 13, 2013
A. History of Business
B. Libraries in American Business and Industry
- Introduction to the course
- History of company library development
- Types and distribution of special libraries
C. Special Libraries Association
- SLA’s History
- SLA Salary Surveys
- SLA and Research
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
We will visit corporate libraries.
One of the places we will visit has specific rules. No weapons of any kind (includes small pen knives) and no cell phones. No one but those on the class list may visit, including children. No cameras.
These apply just for Tuesday, May 24, 2011.
NOTE: There is nothing to purchase for this course. I will supply all of the readings and cases at no cost to the student.
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Corporate Library Closings
- Beacon Gas Company
- Maryland Glass Company
- Winston Engineering
- Precision Engineering Company
- Specialty Chemical Corporation
With your group, prepare a 10 minute oral report on the company assigned. Brief description of the firm and any reason for closure.
Be creative in your presentation.
These 5 cases represent the only record of company libraries that have closed. Other company libraries have closed since these cases were written. We do not have any data on those closures, however.
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Corporate Library Excellence
- Allergan Pharmaceuticals
- Chevron Corporation
- System Planning Corporation
- Abbott Laboratories
With your group, prepare a 10 minute oral report on the companies assigned. Brief description of the firms and any reasons for excellence.
Be creative in your presentation.
Friday, May 17,2013
A. Value of the Information Professional
- SLA Task Force on the Value of the Information Professional
B. The Value of a Corporate Library
- Discuss the value of the corporate library in your group. Specifically, where is the value?
C. Evaluating the Corporate Library
D. The Future of Corporate Libraries in the U.S.
- External competition - fees for information service; the vendor
- External competition - other sources
- Internal competition
- The corporate library of the future: possible scenarios
- Outsourcing - Offshoring
E. Corporate Libraries in Europe and Japan
Students work in teams.
The groups will be:
Specialty/System Planning Team
- First Written Paper (an individual assignment)
Terse Analysis: Typed 3 pages. “Did this library have to close?” Take a position and defend your position. Do not repeat the content of the case. THINK! Paper due 12 Noon, Wednesday, May 15, 2013.
Your analysis will be judged on the quality of the content and the clarity of the presentation. Above all else, you will be judged on the originality of your thought. All of your written work will be graded on this basis.
Please do not use cover sheets, binders etc. on any of the papers. These are not necessary.
- Second Written Paper (an individual assignment)
Terse Analysis: Typed 3 pages on the Reasons for success and excellence. Do not repeat the case in your analysis. THINK! Paper due 12 Noon. - Friday, May 17, 2013
COURSE, SCHOOL, AND UNIVERSITY POLICIES:
Academic Code of Integrity
Students are expected to abide by The University of Arizona Code of Academic Integrity. 'The guiding principle of academic integrity is that a student's submitted work must be the student's own.' If you have any questions regarding what is acceptable practice under this Code, please ask an Instructor.
The University has a Disability Resource Center. If you anticipate the need for reasonable accommodations to meet the requirements of this course, you must register with the Disability Resource Center and request that the DRC send me, the Instructor, official notification of your accommodation needs as soon as possible. Please plan to meet with me by appointment or during office hours to discuss accommodations and how my course requirements and activities may impact your ability to fully participate.
- How to submit your assignments: Please submit your written assignments in paper. Your papers will be graded and returned.
- Assignment due dates: NO LATE PAPERS!
- Writing style: No Style Manual.
- Late Policy: NO LATE PAPERS!