Job Title: Film Preservation Intern
Description: The Center for Creative Photography is seeking an undergraduate or graduate intern with a career interest in archives, art conservation, preservation, and/or collections care and management. The intern will work closely with the CCP Associate Archivist and the CCP Senior Conservator on projects directly related to the sustainable preservation of at-risk film-based materials. The intern will gain hands-on experience with preventive conservation best practices and standards, including the safe handling and storage of film-based materials.
- Create condition reports for photogenic film-based materials (i.e. negatives, slides)
- Record levels of deterioration in acetate film using AD strips
- Isolate film-based materials from other collection materials
- Assist with other grant-specific tasks
Hours and Credit: The intern must complete 180 hours of work within an academic semester (around 12 hours a week). Work schedule will be coordinated with the selected candidate based on their class schedule. If the intern wishes to receive academic credit, they will need to work directly with their academic department.
Pay: $2,000 stipend
Supervisors: Alexis Peregoy, MSI, Associate Archivist and Dana Hemmenway, Senior Conservator
Location: Center for Creative Photography, University of Arizona Campus
- Careful and cautious handling of collection materials
- Knowledge of preservation and conservation best practices and standards
- Ability to work independently but also ask questions and communicate with supervisors
- Ability to climb ladders and retrieve boxes weighing up to 40 pounds
- Ability to work with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Chrome
- Ability to work around noxious odors in a well-ventilated laboratory
- A degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student interested in art conservation, preservations, archives, special collections, museum studies, or related field
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter, highlighting your interest in the position and any relevant experience you may have to Alexis Peregoy at email@example.com Applications received by December 7, 2018 will receive priority consideration for the Spring 2019 semester. Resumes received after this date will be considered for future semesters. Please feel free to email with questions as well.