Honors Program

Graduate with honors from any of our undergraduate majors and complete independent research with our renowned faculty.

Honors Courses

All honors students need 30 honors units to graduate with honors (see Honors graduation requirements). We currently offer ISTA 499H: Independent Study for honors credit (see Individual Studies).

We also encourage students to contract our classes for honors credit. Additionally, we offer co-convened undergraduate/graduate-level courses, for which you can receive honors credit. 

Honors Thesis or Project

To graduate with honors, you must complete an honors thesis or professional project. Honors College students must also complete and submit the Honors Thesis Prospectus at the end of the semester prior to beginning the thesis or project.

The Honors Thesis requires six units of honors credit, taken over two semesters; additionally, many honors student take a one-unit honors class in preparation for their thesis.

You must apply to the School of Information to register for ISTA 498H: Honors Thesis and complete your honors thesis (Standard ISTA majors take only three units of in-person ISTA 498; honors students may register for six units of ISTA 498H over two semesters, and work individually with their faculty supervisor).

To register for ISTA 498H:

  1. Complete an Honors Thesis Prospectus and secure a faculty advisor
  2. Sign in to UA Handshake to start your application
  3. In "Career Center" choose "Experiences" (Career Center has a drop-down menu)
  4. Select "Request an Experience"
  5. Select University of Arizona iSchool Faculty-Supervised Undergraduate Individual Studies Request (492, 498H, 499) 
  6. Fill out the form and include your Faculty Supervisor's contact information. Your faculty supervisor will receive an email from Handshake, and must hit "approve" as their signature on the application.

Once you are approved, the department will register you for ISTA 498H credit with your faculty advisor, who will submit a grade for you at the end of the semester. Contact Holly Brown regarding the Handshake application and the Honors college regarding your honors thesis requirements!

Honors Advising

As an honors student, you have a specific honors advisor for your Honors requirements, above and beyond your major advisor. See the Honors College information page for questions about Honors College requirements, programs, status, or how to apply to the Honors College.

Study Abroad

The Honors College offers honors credits in the five study-abroad programs that they sponsor. 


If you have any questions about the iSchool, please contact the Undergraduate Academic Advisor, Danny Downes. Holly Brown, Program Manager, will register you for your Honors thesis credit (you cannot enroll yourself).