The Library Services Associate III works in collaboration and provides leadership in the coordination and enhancement of Library’s public service desks and services specifically those pertaining to the facilitation of customer access to materials owned and not owned by the University of Arizona Libraries via the library’s interlibrary loan borrowing service. This position works closely with the Resource Sharing Borrowing lead to process complex interlibrary loan borrowing requests submitted by University of Arizona Faculty, Graduate and Undergraduate students. This includes assisting with training other staff, and assisting with updating and maintaining training documentation, responding to customer inquiries; collecting and analyzing departmental data.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Processes interlibrary loan borrowing and document delivery requests which requires a high level of problem solving, including interpreting policies and procedures. Utilizes multiple systems such as ILLiad (interlibrary loan and document delivery management software), WorldCat/OCLC, Docline, the UA Library online catalog, and a variety of UA online databases (ProQuest, IEEE Xplore, Science Direct).
- Educates UA customers to be self-sufficient using resource sharing services, including submitting requests, renewing material and accessing their ILLiad account.
- Handles difficult customer interactions, including replacement fees for overdue interlibrary loan materials.
- Responds to customer inquiries, and provides reference assistance applicable to Resource Sharing services.
- Oversees multiple AIS service sites: Provides customers with reference, technology, and circulation assistance. Provides leadership including solving problems and making non-routine decisions. Ensures safety of library customers, employees, and security of library materials through application of library and University policies and procedures. As needed, responsible for opening/closing and securing various UA Libraries.
- Supports the ongoing collection, management and analysis of departmental and library use and needs assessment data including data required for departmental and library projects and strategic planning.
- Supports the library in its mission and vision in providing excellent customer service by serving on library-wide projects and by improving student awareness of the suite of services and resources offered by the library through participation in campus public programming, student education and success events.
- Facilitates meetings, makes presentations as needed, and participates in data based decision making.
- Provides support for investigating, summarizing, and reporting on the needs and risks associated with operationalizing a new service (development of best practices, policies, and procedures); including benchmarking peers, monitoring trends, seeking feedback from internal and external stakeholders, and identifying resource needs.
- The UA Libraries support the UA’s diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiatives designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students. The candidate is expected to support diversity and inclusiveness efforts in the department and college.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Leadership skills, including excellent initiative, organizational and time management skills; evidence of the use of good judgment and solid analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision.
- Customer service skills, including the ability to work with diverse people and serve a diverse population, as well as taking a proactive approach to meeting customer need, coordinating with peers in order to effectively meet customer need, and initiating effective interventions that result in customer satisfaction.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and respond positively to unanticipated changes while exhibiting follow through and flexibility under demanding circumstances. This involves the ability to work proactively and constructively to identify, define and solve problems with customers and colleagues within the unit and library-wide.
- Knowledge of specialized software (e.g., AutoCAD, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Cloud).
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Outlook and Office Suite (current version) as well as familiarity with library technology, including demonstrated skills in troubleshooting hardware, software and equipment.
- Understanding of the research and references process as well as a broad understanding of various types of reference sources (e.g., library catalog, indexes, web-scale discovery services, search engines, virtual and print resources) and their appropriate uses, including understanding the differences between primary and secondary resources.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively on the design, development, delivery and assessment of customized instruction, train groups and individuals, whose learning styles, levels of academic preparedness, and backgrounds vary greatly in effective use of library resources and research tools as well as experience evaluating individuals based on established work expectations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives.
- Positive attitude and strong demonstration of Our Values: Collaboration, Continuous Learning, Diversity, Innovation, and Integrity.
- Bachelor's degree AND one year related library experience; OR, Five years related library experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Experience with interlibrary loan and/or document delivery and its management systems (for example: ILLiad and OCLC).
- Experience searching integrated Library Services and Discovery Platforms including record interpretation (e.g., Ex Libris Alma and Primo).
- Experience providing reference services (in-person and virtual), utilizing the reference interview process to determine customer need, in an academic, research or large public library.
- Experience giving and receiving feedback in an environment dedicated to ongoing growth.
- Experience with process improvement, cost and systems analysis, and project management.