The CSU, Bakersfield is seeking a Senior Research Analyst to perform as part of the Institutional Research, Planning, and Assessment (IRPA) team and be involved in analytical work of varying complexity. The Senior Research Analyst will undertake research, analytics, and assessment of considerable scope with minimal supervision. The incumbent will perform high level research assignments that inform CSU Bakersfield policies and planning regarding enrollment, academics, student success, capital improvement, technology, and institutional effectiveness. The incumbent will help to shape a culture of inquiry and data informed decision making by providing actionable research findings and perform data visualization projects.
Major Job Duties (Essential Functions)
- Perform analytical work of varying complexity utilizing sound principles of research design, interpret, draw conclusions and summarize analytic findings.
- Develop successful data analytic strategies and business Intelligence visualization to guide data-driven decisions.
- With emphasis on quantitative analysis of various institutional data related to, for instance, application/enrollment/retention/graduation trends, execute research studies, interpret the data, present research findings for reports, and effectively disseminate the findings with university constitutes in such a way that they will be useful for decision making and institutional improvement.
- Analyze institutional research, higher education scholarship, and other relevant reports to determine the merit, veracity, or usefulness of such. The incumbent’s role is to distill, summarize and call attention to relevant institutional research and data trends related to the campus agenda.
- Synthesize qualitative and quantitative solutions into actionable recommendations and frequently communicate those findings to student success partners.
Other Job Duties (Marginal Duties)
- Leverage storytelling skills to deliver insights that are clear, concise and actionable.
- Prepare high quality presentations and present research findings useful for decision making and institutional improvement.
- Represent and provides substantive input on behalf of IRPA in meetings involving data requirements/procedural/processing changes/updates.
- Provides, review, and validates technical specifications.
- Maintain and build data-driven analyses.
- Develop reporting capacity to meet internal and external needs.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned
- Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to safely and effectively complete assignments
- Skills in statistical analyses and research methodologies; analyzing large complex databases; locating and integrating multi source data for projects; interpreting and summarizing study results; and preparing innovative presentation materials that make analytical findings useful
- Experience with data analytic strategies and optimizing outcomes/analyses
- Proficiency in one or more of the following statistical packages: SAS, SPSS, STATA, R
- Experience with reporting and data visualization tools (Tableau, ArcGIS, COGNOS, etc.)
- Ability to think critically and strategically. Should be able to anticipate needs before they arise
- Demonstrate cross-team collaboration
- Excellent attention to detail and solid organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of personal accountability
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Ability to work under a fast-paced environment with day-to-day changes
- Professionally responsible and honest about potential problems, failure, or inability to perform according to established deadlines
- Must have an interest and/or ability to work in a multicultural/multiethnic environment
- Masters/Doctoral degree in related fields (social sciences, economics, mathematics, statistics, public or business administration or engineering) focusing on quantitative analysis and research methods
- Experience in institutional research and assessment in higher education
- Proficiency in developing data visualizations using tools especially Tableau
- Distributing research findings at professional conferences and journals