International Applicants

International applicants--
Join the next generation of doers, thinkers, solvers, and game-changers with our new M.S. in Information degree!

You are considered an International Student if:
  • You are not a citizen of the United States of America, and
  • You are not a U.S. Permanent Resident, Refugee, Asylee, or Jay Treaty status holder.
International applicants must meet additional admissions requirements in the following areas:
  • Degree Requirements
  • English Proficiency
  • Financial Guarantee and Visa Requirements
  • Health Insurance

Contact Information
For questions regarding School of Information degree programs or admissions, please email us or call our offices at (520) 621-3565. You can also direct questions to the Director of Graduate Studies, Catherine Brooks, or contact the UA International Student Services

Degree Requirements
Please review our International Graduate Admissions Requirements summary to discover the minimum degree required of students from each country.
Per immigration regulations, international students admitted to a graduate program must enroll in a total of 9 units, of which 6 of those units must be courses taught in-person and only 3 online units may be used toward full-time enrollment. For details please see the file attachment at the end of the page or contact UA International Student Services.
English Proficiency 
Proof of English proficiency is required for any international applicant born in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our English Requirement list to verify your need to submit an English proficiency test.  These tests must be dated within 2 years of the enrollment term to be considered valid.
Acceptable English Proficiency tests are: 

GRE requirements differ among different program (e.g. MA program does not require GRE), please see program page for requirements.

Those exempt from submitting English proficiency scores are:
  • Applicants from countries where English is the official language.
  • Applicants who have completed a bachelors or graduate degree at a regionally accredited institution in the United States, or an approved institution in an official English speaking country.  Degree must not be older than two years from the term of enrollment.
  • Applicants who have completed two years of full-time academic study must have 48 upper division, graded undergraduate semester units or 30 graded, graduate semester units.
Financial Guarentee and Visa Requirements
Students requesting non-immigrant visas (I-20 or DS-2019) must certify that they possess adequate financial resources to support themselves while in residence at The University of Arizona and must submit the Financial Guarantee Form.
Helpful Financial Guarantee Information:
  • Financial guarantee documents must be dated within six months of the term of admission, must be in English, and should be addressed to The University of Arizona Graduate College.
  • Departmental funding can serve as proof towards completion of the financial guarantee.
  • It is acceptable to combine various types of funding such as student's personal funds, family funds, sponsor funding, and/or departmental funding to meet the total guarantee requirement.
  • Family members (spouse or child/ren) that accompany students to the United States require proof of additional funding. 
Sponsor Information:
  • If a student is sponsored through an organization or government agency, the sponsor must provide the Graduate Admissions Office and the International Student Services office with the terms of support.
  • An official sponsorship letter must include specific information regarding the amount and duration of the financial award. 
  • Some sponsors require the University of Arizona to bill their organization for student tuition and fees.  If so, details must be handled through an embassy or an agency located within the United States.
  • Prior to registration, an official letter regarding billing information must be sent to:
University of Arizona
915 N. Tyndall Ave.
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0441
Health Insurance
Students on non-immigrant visas are required by The University of Arizona to carry student accident and illness insurance coverage for each term of enrollment.  The cost of insurance is included in the amount of the financial guarantee and is incorporated into your semester fees automatically upon registration.
Students covered by their government or sponsoring agency may be exempted from The University of Arizona's insurance plan when their government or sponsoring agency has submitted accident and sickness insurance plans deemed acceptable by The University of Arizona. Contact Campus Health for more information regarding an insurance exemption. 
Students hired as Graduate Assistants in teaching or research will have their individual health insurance coverage paid by The University of Arizona.  Additional information about this benefit will be sent to admitted international students who receive teaching or research assistant positions.
More information regarding our Campus Health Service can be found on the Campus Health website.
Tuition and Fees
For an estimated cost of attending the University of Arizona, please visit the Graduate College's Estimated Cost of a UA Education webpage. Resources include Residency Classifications and  the Official University of Arizona Tuition Calculator (look for "SBS College: School of Information" or "SBS College: School of Information Resources and Library Science") Note: Masters students must pay the program fees. Ph.D students (international or domestic) do not pay program fees.  
Admisisons Deadlines
  • Fall semester - February 15
  • Summer semester - March 1
  • Spring semester - September 1
Conditional Admissions
Graduate departments may recommend a student for Conditional Admission if the prospective student meets all Graduate College requirements except the minimum English proficiency requirement. See International Conditional Admission for more information.

F-1 student OPT after graduation

Optional Practical Training provides an opporutnity for F-1 students to gain work experience in the United States. Students graduated with the MA degree may have 12-months OPT training period. Students graduated from the MS degree (CIP Code:11.0401:information science/studies) may have an additional extension of 17 months (a total of 29 months). Details please see the official OPT regulations  



File attachments: 

Related Topic(s): 

College of Social and Behavioral Sciences