Collaborate across disciplines to solve real-world information problems and address grand information challenges of today and the future.
About the Program
Our M.S. in Information program offers a highly interdisciplinary curriculum, community interaction opportunities, and an emphasis on information engagement. Our aim is to help you become an information professional who can solve real-world information problems and work across disciplines.
You'll develop both social and technological skills and graduate with hands-on experience that blends behavioral, psychological, cultural, and philosophical perspectives.
You'll develop skills in:
- Computational and analytic thinking and doing – including decomposition, pattern recognition, abstraction, and algorithms in solving information and data challenges
- Data manipulation, analysis and interpretation – including the skills of collecting, manipulating, and analyzing different types of data at different scales, and interpreting the results properly
- Communication and teamwork – acquiring skills to work with others within and across disciplines and be effective communicators
- Creative contributions – you'll learn how to conduct original and innovative work involving computational thinking, data-intensive methodologies, and/or human-centered designs that will extend the body of knowledge in the field of Information
- Ethics and Values – you'll develop an understanding of information/data ethics and the values of the information fields to serve diverse user groups
A M.S. in Information will prepare you for a number of fields, including:
- Information architect
- Database administrator
- Data scientist/engineer
- Digital artists
- Software programmer/engineer
- Web programmer
- Application/system analyst
- Digital repository specialist
Progress to the Ph.D. Program
M.S. graduates with strong research interests are encouraged to apply to the Ph.D. program. Admission requirements are the same as the other candidates, but M.S. graduates may be able to waive certain courses.