Applications for priority admission are currently being accepted through March 1, 2017 for Fall 2017/Summer 2017.
What Knowledge River Students Receive
- Each year, Knowledge River selects a cohort of students to be Knowledge River Scholars. Knowledge River Scholars receive opportunities for academic support, specialized advising, cohort support, participation in a cohort-based learning community, mentorship, access to the 170+ Knowledge River alumni, and professional development activities, as well as regular SI services and activities.
- Financial aid for Knowledge River Scholars is available for a limited number of KR Scholars. This financial aid comes mainly in the form of Graduate Assistantships, which allow students to gain practical experience in libraries and other information environments..
- Knowledge River Scholars graduate with an ALA-accredited MA in Information Resources and Library Science.
- Submit application and receive admission to the Master of Arts degree in Library and Information Science at the University of Arizona School of Information. This is a prerequisite for Knowledge River admission.
To be eligible for Knowledge River admissions:
- Applicant must demonstrate a strong combination of knowledge, cultural sensitivity, and commitment relating to Latino/Latina and/or Native American populations.
- Applicant must be able and willing to take a minimum of 6 credit hours (two courses) per semester.
- Applicant must be willing and able to be a part of the Knowledge River learning community.
- Applicant must indicate an aspiration to seek employment in a library or information environment upon graduation, and as an LIS professional and KR Alumnus, continue to consider the needs of diverse communities.
Students must apply for admission to both the University of Arizona’s Graduate College and to the MA LIS program. Successful applicants must be approved by both the SI Admission Committee and the Graduate College Admission Department. Successful applicants will then be reviewed for admission into Knowledge River and then reviewed for Knowledge River financial aid. The application processes are described below.
SI and Graduate College Admission Application:
The MA LIS application process can be found here. Include reference to your intention to apply to Knowledge River in your MA LIS admission application essay.
Knowledge River Application:
The Knowledge River Application for Summer/Fall 2016 is currently available. Please see attachment at the bottom of this page. If you would like to be added to the contact list and receive updates about deadlines and opportunities, please email email@example.com.
Knowledge River Financial Assistance Application:
Financial assistance is available for a limited number of KR Scholars. Most of this aid is in the form of Graduate Assistantships. Criteria for KR financial aid are as follows:
- Financial need (must complete the FAFSA form and the SI financial aid form)
- Demonstrated excellence in the criteria for admission to KR, including academic excellence, writing proficiency, commitment to Latino/Latina and/or Native American populations.
- For KR Graduate Assistantships (GA): Applicant must be able and willing to accept a 20 hour/week GA appointment in our partner libraries in the Tucson area and other information environments.
- To remain eligible for Graduate Assistantships, KR students must maintain a 3.0 GPA. Applicants may indicate their preferences for their graduate assistantship locations in one of the streams described in the application. The Knowledge River program will work to place accepted students in their preferred location, but the program cannot guarantee specific placements.
To be considered for Knowledge River Financial aid:
- Submit a Knowledge River application form and resume as described in the previous section.
- Submit a completed SI Financial Aid form
- All Knowledge River applicants who want to be considered for Knowledge River financial aid must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA). Online applications can be submitted at this website. The UA School Code for the FAFSA application is 00108.
KR Graduate Assistantship Area of Interest
There are three areas of interest, or stream choices, for KR Graduate Assistants:
Health Science Librarianship
Summer/Fall 2017 KR Scholars who are awarded Graduate Assistantships will be placed in assistantships relating to one of the areas above. Applicants will be asked to rank their information organization choices. Ideally, the choices will be areas of interest during your program.
KR Scholars who do not receive GA assistantships but wish to pursue study in one of these areas are encouraged to take relevant courses and to arrange for an internship at the appropriate time.
A scholar who selects the Public Librarianship will be considered for Graduate Assistantships in KR partner institutions that will employ scholars in public libraries. Selecting the Health Science Librarianship or the Special Collections will guide scholars to Graduate Assistantships in these work environments.
Applications by current MA LIS students:
If you are a current MA LIS student, you do not need to complete the entire application process above. Instead, submit your Knowledge River application form (including responses to essay questions) and current resume directly to the program as PDF attachments. Please note: Admission to Knowledge River for current MA LIS students is subject to approval by the Knowledge River admissions committee.
We recommend that applicants maintain a copy of everything sent to both SI and the Graduate College.