As we work together to battle the coronavirus, we will continue to offer safe and secure online sessions . Even though our physical office is closed, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by CDC, we are working remotely and continuing to provide student, staff, and faculty assistance. We can be reached Monday-Friday 9am-4pm Mountain Standard Time at 520-621-3565 or by email – please refer to the iSchool Directory. Please allow up to 24 hours response time. Faculty and Adjuncts will respond as their schedules permit.
Apply to Knowledge River
The Knowledge River program will give you a unique opportunity to prepare for a career as a librarian or information professional with a focus on Latino and Native American communities.
The Application for the 2020-2021 academic year is due March 15, 2020.
- You must be active (or accepted as a new student) into the Master of Arts in the Library and Information Science program.
- You must take a minimum of 6 units (2 courses) per semester.
- You must demonstrate a strong combination of knowledge, cultural sensitivity and commitment relating to Latino/Latina and/or Native American populations.
- You must be willing and able to be a part of the Knowledge River learning community.
- You must indicate an aspiration to seek employment in a library or information environment upon graduation, and as an Library and Information Science professional and Knowledge River alumnus, continue to consider the needs of diverse communities.
You must apply for admission to both the M.A. in Library and Information Science program and Knowledge River. Once accepted by the School of Information and the UA Graduate College, you will then be reviewed for admission into Knowledge River and considered for Knowledge River financial aid.
You should reference your intention to apply to Knowledge River in your statement of purpose when applying to the M.A. program. See M.A. admissions information.
Knowledge River Application
We are now taking applications for the 2020-2021 academic year for Cohort 19. If you would like to be added to the contact list and receive updates about deadlines and opportunities, please email email@example.com.
Financial assistance is available for a limited number of Knowledge River Scholars. Most of this aid is in the form of graduate assistantships.
Criteria for Knowledge River financial aid are as follows:
- Financial need (must complete the FAFSA form and the School of Information financial aid application)
- Commitment to serving Latino/Latina and/or Native American populations
- Demonstrated academic excellence and writing proficiency
- For Knowledge River graduate assistantships: You must accept a 20 hour/week appointment in our partner libraries in the Tucson area and other information environments
- To remain eligible for graduate assistantships, you must maintain a 3.0 GPA. You may indicate your preferences for your graduate assistantship locations in one of the streams described in the application. The Knowledge River program will work to place accepted students in their preferred location, but the program cannot guarantee specific placements.
To be considered for Knowledge River Financial aid:
- Submit a Knowledge River application form - COMING SOON
- Submit a completed School of Information Financial Aid form
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA). The UA School Code for the FAFSA application is 00108.
Graduate Assistantship Areas of Interest
There are 3 areas of interest, or stream choices, for Knowledge River Graduate Assistants:
- Public Librarianship
- Health Science Librarianship
- Special Collections
If you do not receive an assistantships, but wish to pursue study in one of these areas, you are encouraged to take relevant courses and to arrange for an internship at the appropriate time.
Applications for Current M.A. Students
If you are a current student in the M.A. Library & Information Science program, you do not need to complete the entire application process above. Instead, submit your Knowledge River application form (including responses to essay questions). Admission to Knowledge River for current M.A. students is subject to approval by the Knowledge River admissions committee.
We recommend that you save the confirmation email received after submitting your application.