Dates and times have not yet been scheduled for the 2018-2019 Colloquia. Additional information will be added as they become available.
Upcoming Research Talks:
Past Research Talks 2018:
- Friday, November 30, 2018 - Inferring Emotion and Cognitive Changes through Human-Computer Interaction Devices: From Basic Research to Communalization, Joe Valacich, Eller Provessor in MIS, University of Arizona, Chief Science Officer, Nero-ID, Inc.
- Friday, October 12, 2018 - Discovering Dark Data through the Scholarly Literature, Gretchen Stahlman, Ph.D. Candidate, School of Informatoin, University of Arizona
- Friday, April 27, 2018 - "From Characters to Time Intervals: New Paradigms for Evaluation and Neural Parsing of Time Normalizations" Dongfang Xu, Ph.D. candidate, Egoitz Laparra, Postdoctoral researcher, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Friday, April 6, 2018 - "Archives, Embodiment, and the Story of America’s India" Ragini Tharoor Srinivasan, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of English, University of Arizona
- Friday, March 30, 2018 - "A New Feminist Critique of Film Canon: Moving Beyond Liberalism in the Digital Era" Anna Cooper, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, School of Theatre, Film, and Television, University of Arizona
- Friday, March 16, 2018 - "Managing Research Projects with the Open Science Framework", Fernando Rios, Ph.D., Office of Digital Innovation and Stewardship, University of Arizona (PPT)
- Friday, March 2, 2018 - "Focused Reading: Reinforcement Learning for What Documents to Read", Enrique Noriega, Ph.D. candidate, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Friday, February 23, 2018 - "Blockchain: Tech, hope, and hype" David Sidi, Diana Daly, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Thursday, February 15, 2018 - "Interaction and User Experience: Driver for Future Digital Media" Don Shin, Ph.D., Professor, School of Media and Communication, Chung-Ang University
- Friday, February 9, 2018 - School of Information Faculty Research Blitz
- Monday, January 29, 2018 - "Surveillance and Privacy Today: A Panel Discussion"
- Friday, January 26, 2018 - "Really Real Patterns", Tyler Millhouse, Ph.D. candidate, Department of Philosophy, University of Arizona
Past Research Talks 2017:
- Friday, November 3, 2017 - "Baby Names as a Window to Culture" Charles Seguin, PhD, Assistant Professor, Sociology, University of Arizona
- Friday, October 27, 2017 - "How Bayesians Lie to Other Bayesians" Don Fallis, PhD, Professor, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Friday, October 13, 2017 - "Accumulation and Disappearance: Photography, Visibility and the Archive in an Online Age" Kate Albers, PhD, Associate Professor, School of Art, University of Arizona
- Friday, October 6, 2017 - "Authors in the driver's seat: fast, consistent, computable phenotype data and ontology production" Hong Cui, PhD, Associate Professor, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - "Visualizing our Universe: An Overview of the WorldWide Telescope Project" Phil Rosenfield, PhD, Post-doctoral Fellow, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
- Friday, September 22, 2017 - "TD-CHAIN: A System to Enhance Transparency in Data Flows" Laura Brandimarte, PhD, Assistant Professor, Management Information Systems, University of Arizona, and David Sidi, Graduate Student Researcher, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Friday, May 5, 2017 - "That talk you didn't see: Tracking and reconnecting the knowledge of women amid our technological diminishing" Lili Steffen, Amelia Marsh, Diana Daly, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Friday, April 21, 2017 - "The Real Story Behind Fake News: An Epistemological and Ethical Analysis" Kay Mathiesen, Don Fallis, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Friday, April 14, 2017 - "Your Voting Information Exposed" Arnold Urken, PhD, Research Professor, College of Engineering, University of Arizona
- Friday, March 24, 2017 - “Working with Niche Collections: Lessons from the Archives at the Perkins School for the Blind” Molly Stothert-Maurer, Processing Archivist, University of Arizona Libraries
- Monday, March 20, 2017 - “Mobilities, Robotics, and our Social and Political Lives” David Bissell, Australian National University.
- Thursday, March 9, 2017 - “Effects of Locomotion on User Experience in Virtual Reality Games” Evren Bozgeyikli, PhD, Post-Doctoral Researcher, University of South Florida.
- Friday, February 17, 2017 - "A Bayesian Epistemology of Deception" Don Fallis, PhD, Professor, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Thursday, February 9, 2017 – “Interactive Designs for Computational Media: Free-Hand Interactive Exhibitions and Augmenting Viewer Perception” Hannah Kum, PhD, Visiting Research Professor, Syracuse University
- Tuesday, February 7, 2017 – "Effects of Virtual Reality Properties on User Experience in Serious Games" Lal Bozgeyikli, PhD, Research Assistant, University of South Florida
- Friday, February 3, 2017 - "Dark Data in Astronomy" Gretchen Stahlman, Bryan Heidorn, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Thursday, February 2, 2017 - "Immersive Technology for Medical Application: Current and Future Directions" Markus Santoso, PhD, Postdoctoral Research Associate, LINDSAY Virtual Human Lab, University of Calgary
Past Research Talks 2016:
- Friday, December 2, 2016 - "So, you want to be a digital archivist…reflections from a practitioner" Erin O'Meara, UA Libraries, University of Arizona (PPT)
- Thursday, November 17, 2016 - Courtney McKenna (Cunning NYC) discusses creative making, interactive branding, experiential marketing strategies, and digital art across the professions.
- Friday, November 4, 2016 - "Reconceptualizing the EHR to be a Communication System" Jane Carrington, PhD, RN, Assistant Professor, College of Nursing, University of Arizona
- Friday, October 21, 2016 - "Archiving the Ephemeral Experience" Jennifer Jenkins, PhD, Associate Professor, LIterature, Film & Archival Studies, University of Arizona
- Friday, October 14, 2016 - "Archival Bodies: Ethos and Ethics of Embodied Productions" Jamie A. Lee, PhD, Assistant Professor, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Friday, October 7, 2016 - "Why Do They Leave: Modeling Participation in Online Depression Forums" Farig Sadeque, PhD Student, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Friday, April 29, 2016 - "A Game-Theoretic Analysis of Disinformation" Don Fallis, PhD, Professor, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Wednesday, March 2, 2016 - "Provenance in Databases and Workflows: An Overview" Bertram Ludäscher, PhD, Professor, iSchool, University of Illinois
- Friday, February 19, 2016 - "Do Intellectual Property Rights Make Us Smarter?" Kay Mathiesen, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, School of Information, University of Arizona
- Friday, February 12, 2016 - “Investigations in Interdisciplinarity” Erin Leahey, Professor of Sociology, University of Arizona
Past Research Talks 2015:
- Thursday, October 29, 2015 - School of Information Faculty Research Blitz
- Thursday, October 8, 2015 - "Platform Politics: Design Practices and the Construction of Scholarly Knowledge" Patricia Garcia, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Scholar in the Center for Gender Equity in Science and Technology, Arizona State University
- Thursday, September 24, 2015 - "Can Omitting Information Make You A Liar?" Vladimir Krstic, Visiting Scholar from the University of Auckland