Thank you for your interest in applying for admission to the Master of Science in Data Science, offered both on campus and online.
Prospective students are required to submit application materials directly to the University of Arizona Graduate College. Please read the information below and then submit your application prior to the appropriate deadline:
How to Apply
Main campus and AZ Online applicants should follow the instructions below:
To apply, you must complete the University of Arizona Graduate College online application. Follow these steps:
- Create a GradApp account
- Complete your GradApp profile under "My Account".
- Select "Apply to a Program" from the sidebar.
- Choose "Degree Seeking" under application type and "Data Science (MS)" under program of study.
- Choose the semester during which you wish to enter the program.
- Your application should now be initiated under "My Active Applications."
- Domestic Students: In person on the Tucson main campus, or fully online through Arizona Online.
- International Students: In person on the Tucson main campus, or fully online through Arizona Online.
Admission will be based on an evaluation of your potential to become a qualified information professional or effective researchers in data science. We consider prior coursework and grades, letters of recommendation and research/artistic/professional products such as papers, substantive works, or significant contributions to software systems.
To be admitted you must have:
- A bachelor’s degree from the University of Arizona or from an accredited college or university recognized by the University of Arizona
- A grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Academic coursework and/or professional experience that demonstrates strong quantitative and analytical reasoning abilities
- Academic coursework and/or professional experience with math and programming, including data structures, analysis of algorithms, and linear algebra. Coursework and/or professional experience with calculus is encouraged but not required.
- See additional requirements for international applicants.
- A GRE is not required. You may still submit one if you choose to.
Recommended Prerequisites & Provisional Acceptance
You are required to submit the following materials as part of your online application. Your application will not be processed until all required information is received.
Write a 750-1000 word Statement of Purpose indicating why you are interested in the program and what skills and experience you have that will make you a successful candidate for the degree.
Upload unofficial transcripts from ALL higher educational institutions attended as part of the online application. (Please note that unofficial transcripts are needed from each individual institution even if they are listed on the final transcript where the degree was issued.)
Official e-transcripts can be sent to email@example.com directly from the institution. Official transcripts can be requested after the graduate college has provided requirements in their letter once admittance has occurred.
Proof of English proficiency is required for any international applicant born in a country where English is not the official language. Please check our English Requirement list to verify your need to submit an English proficiency test. These tests must be dated within 2 years of the enrollment term to be considered valid.
Acceptable English Proficiency tests are:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Minimum score of 79 iBT (or 60 on the revised PBT with no section score lower than 15). Individual MyBest scores must also be dated within 2 years of the enrollment term to be considered valid.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Minimum composite score of 7, with no subject area below a 6
- Pearson PTE Academic: Minimum score of 60
- Graduate English Language Endorsement from the Center for English as a Second Language (CESL)
- CEPT Full Academic test: Offered by the UArizona Center for English as a Second Language (CESL), minimum Total score of 110.
Those exempt from submitting English proficiency scores are:
- Applicants from countries where English is the official language.
- Applicants who have completed a bachelor's or graduate degree at a regionally accredited institution in the United States, or an approved institution in an official English speaking country. Degree must not be older than 2 years from the term of enrollment.
- Applicants who have completed 2 years of full-time academic study must have 48 upper division, graded undergraduate semester units or 30 graded, graduate semester units.
Upload your unofficial TOEFL scores as part of the online application. You must also submit official scores through ETS using institution code 4832.
Provide email addresses and contact information for two recommenders in the ‘Letters of Recommendation’ section of the online application. The letters of recommendation must be received prior to the deadline for applications to be reviewed.
Upload a current resumé or curriculum vitae (CV) as part of the online application in the ‘Supplemental Questions’ section.
You may also need to complete:
- A domicile affidavit if you wish to have in-state (Arizona) status. Mail or FAX the form directly to the Residency Classification Office. All students are considered out-of-state residents until domicile affidavits are processed. See Residency Guidelines and also review information about Proposition 300.
- A financial guarantee form (international students).
- An immunization form to be sent directly to Campus Health. Students will not be allowed to register for classes until they have met UArizona's immunization requirements. For more information, see the Campus Health Service's immunization requirements.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you ready to tackle the grand challenges of today and tomorrow through data science?
If so, you're ready to apply to the University of Arizona Master of Science in Data Science program in the iSchool: