Degree Requirements, AMP MS

Fast-track, Accelerated Master’s students are required to take ISTA 350 as part of ISTA coursework for their undergraduate degree before participating in the AMP. Additionally, you are also required to take two of: ISTA 311, ISTA 331, MATH 129, or MATH 313 before participating in the AMP. Exceptions can be made to take these courses during the AMP for transfer students or students who have demonstrated sufficient progress in programming and mathematical courses. 

We recommend that you speak to your academic advisor about your interest in the program early on to begin planning your courses.


Once accepted into the AMP program, students can take a maximum of 12 units (four) graduate classes while an undergraduate, and will register using the Undergraduate Registration in Graduate Classes form, with the assistance of advisor and department.

Students are advised not to take more than two graduate classes per semester while an undergraduate. Thus, plan with your advisor to split your graduate work between your two final semesters. Please see the sample Five Year Plan as a general guide. 

Five year plan 


AMP students are encouraged to take classes from the MS core requirements (INFO 505, 507 and 515) if available.

Additionally, AMP students may consider taking 500 (graduate) level sections of 400-level ISTA coursework, provided they meet the undergraduate pre-requisites as well. However, AMP students are not restricted to 500-level sections of 400-level coursework; they may be flexible in their selection of graduate courses, in consultation with their academic advisors and completion of the Undergraduate Registration in Graduate Classes form.  However, AMP students are advised not to take 600-level classes while an undergraduate. Discuss any 600-level course with your advisors. 

Undergraduate students can take no more than 12 units (four) graduate classes while an undergraduate, and will register using the Undergraduate Registration in Graduate Classes form, with the assistance of advisor and department. 

Consider if you wish to pursue a Graduate Certificate in addition to your MS.

Use in Information Science major 

Graduate classes may be used in an undergraduate Information Science, Bachelor of Science, major as it most benefits the student, in consultation with their academic advisor. Students should still take ISTA 498: Senior Capstone, their Individual Studies/Engagement requirement, and all required undergraduate core ISTA classes. Transfer students are encouraged to declare a thematic minor in consultation with their academic advisor as the most efficient means to finish their degree requirements with an AMP.


Please note that all undergraduate students must earn 120 total units, 42 Upper Division units (coursework 300 level or above) in order to graduate.

Even if you have completed your general education, major, and minor, you must have earned 120/42 in order to graduate. Students may need to take Elective courses in order to graduate.

Transfer students in particular must carefully confer with their undergraduate academic advisor regarding their progress towards 120/42, 56 units at a University (not Community College). Current students may use their advisement report in UAccess to track their degree requirements and units.