Apply to the Ph.D. Program
Admission to the doctoral program typically occurs in the fall semester.
The application deadline for Fall 2022 will be January 2, 2022. This application is currently CLOSED.
How to Apply
To apply, you must complete the University of Arizona Graduate College online application. Follow these steps:
- Create a GradApp account
- Complete your GradApp profile under "My Account".
- Select "Apply to a Program" from the sidebar.
- Choose "Degree Seeking" under application type and "Information (PHD)" under program of study.
- Choose the semester during which you wish to enter the program.
- Your application should now be initiated under "My Active Applications."
Admission to the doctoral program is competitive and based on both your abilities and faculty interest and expertise in your proposed area of study. The School of Information may deny entry to an otherwise qualified applicant if there is insufficient faculty intellectual overlap for working with that applicant. Please note a GRE is NOT required.
Our faculty consider the overall package when making candidate evaluations, including:
- An undergraduate or graduate academic record that is indicative of significant achievement (typically a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale)
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation that clearly speak to your promise as a graduate student and as a doctoral student
- A résumé indicating both employment and educational experience to date
- A statement of intent outlining why you are applying to this particular program and what you consider the outcome of doctoral study will be
- An interview, on campus or by phone, with selected members of the faculty may occur
You are required to submit the following materials as part of your online application. Your application will not be processed until all required information is received.
Academic Statement of Purpose
Write a 750-1000 word statement outlining why you are applying to this particular program and what you consider the outcome of doctoral study will be. You need not, at this point, indicate potential dissertation topics, but an indication of the area(s) in which you propose to study would be very helpful to the faculty.
Upload unofficial transcripts from ALL higher educational institutions attended as part of the online application. (Please note that unofficial transcripts are needed from each individual institution even if they are listed on the final transcript where the degree was issued.)
Official e-transcripts can be sent to email@example.com directly from the institution. Official transcripts can be requested after the graduate college has provided requirements in their letter once admittance has occurred.
English Language Proficiency
You are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) if your native language is not English or if you have not received an undergraduate degree from an institution where English is the exclusive medium of instruction.
Upload your unofficial TOEFL scores as part of the online application. You must also submit official scores through ETS using institution code 4832.
Letters of Recommendation
Provide email addresses and contact information for three recommenders in the ‘Letters of Recommendation’ section of the online application.
Upload a current resumé or curriculum vitae (CV) as part of the online application in the ‘Supplemental Questions’ section.
You may also need to complete:
A domicile affidavit if you wish to have in-state (Arizona) status. Mail or FAX the form directly to the Residency Classification Office. All students are considered out-of-state residents until domicile affidavits are processed. See Residency Guidelines and also review information about Proposition 300.
A financial guarantee form (international students)
An immunization form to be sent directly to Campus Health. Students will not be allowed to register for classes until they have met the University's immunization requirements. For more information, see the Campus Health Service's immunization requirements.
If you have any questions, contact: